Important information you need to know relating to visa overstays in Argentina
- If you overstay your visa past the 90 days there is a 30 day grace period afterward, in this period you can choose to renew your tourist visa though you'll pay an extra 50% fee, you'll have to pay ARS 900 rather than the normal ARS 600.
- Alternatively, you can also leave Argentina within the 30 day grace period and it's highly unlikely that you'll get arrested. You'll have to pay a fine of 600 pesos to get exit authorization. This has its own perks:
- The line up at the migration office for the authorization application.
- Lining up at Banco do Nacional to pay the overstay fine
- Get back to migration to present prove of payment and pick your exit form.
- You can complete this whole process at EZE airport in Buenos Aires at the time of departure but you'll probably miss your flight as I did.
- Time wastage: The whole process can take you between 4- 7 hours.
- In case you continue overstaying in Argentina past the 30 day grace period you risk arrest and deportation.