Important information you need to know relating to visa overstays in Argentina
- If you overstay your visa past the 90 days there is a 30 day grace period afterward, in this period you can choose to renew your tourist visa though you'll pay an extra 50% fee, you'll have to pay ARS 900 rather than the normal ARS 600.
- Alternatively, you can also leave Argentina within the 30 day grace period and it's highly unlikely that you'll get arrested. You'll have to pay a fine of 600 pesos to get exit authorization. This has its own perks:
- The line up at the migration office for the authorization application.
- Lining up at Banco do Nacional to pay the overstay fine
- Get back to migration to present prove of payment and pick your exit form.
You can complete this whole process at EZE airport in Buenos Aires at the time of departure but you'll probably miss your flight as I did.
Time wastage: The whole process can take you between 4- 7 hours.
- In case you continue overstaying in Argentina past the 30 day grace period you risk arrest and deportation.