- The first thing to understand is that there is the Argentian Patagonia and Chilean Patagonia both with sort of different attractions. On the Argentian side, the main highlight is the Perito Moreno glacier while in Chile it's the Torres del Paine national park. The Argentian Patagonia has more impressive glaciers but on the other hand, the Chilean Patagonia is easier to visit.
Tierra del Fuego
Best time to visit
- Summertime (December-March in the southern hemisphere) is the best time to visit. During winter most attractions are usually closed. Beware though that during summer this place is packed and here are some few tips to help you dodge the Patagonia crowds.
- Opt for off the beaten path Patagonian treks such as Cerro Castilo.
- For solo travelers its easier to avoid crowds, avoid group tours, if you need a tour opt for private tours.
- Alternatively, you can also opt to visit in winter.
How to get to Patagonia from Santiago.
- There are three airlines that fly into cities around the Patagonia region: LATAM, Sky and Jet smart. You can fly into Puerto Montt( northern Chilean Patagonia), Balmaceda (halfway down ) or Puerto Natales in southern Patagonia, of course, flights to Puerto Natales are the most expensive starting at 90000CLP($123) during the peak season.
- From Puerto Montt and Balmaceda, you can get buses heading to southern Patagonian destinations at the city bus terminals.
How to save money on Patagonia trips
- Pack light as most domestic airlines will charge luggage weighing over 10 kg.
- Visit during spring (August-November) or fall ( March- June).