Step by step guide on how to get your Costa Rican residency
- The first step towards getting your residency with ease is finding a good lawyer, reason:
- The process is very long and generally bureaucratic
- Most of the paperwork is done in Spanish, if your Spanish is poor or you don't know any Spanish at all, the process will be very hectic for you.
Ways of qualifying
- Through an immediate family member.
- If you're a pensionado (retiree) from America or Europe, this group is highly considered in this process and it's generally easier for them to get residency.
- Self - employed businessmen
- For more information about this click here.
- NOTE; Getting a work visa here is a nightmare as you have to prove that there's no Costa Rican who is up to the task.
- Letter to immigration head with your details and reasons for seeking residency
- Home country identification documents: Birth certificate, ID and passport
- Proof of no criminal record in Costa Rica
- 3 passport photos
- Deposit slip proving payment of $ 200 application fee
- KEY POINT; If documents are not in Spanish they must be accompanied by their translation in Spanish.