Cuba long distance bus guide
- Short distance bus travel is relatively easy as there are very many local buses connecting to different nearby towns all across Cuba.
- For long-distance travel, Viazul and Astro are the main bus service providers.
- Viazul coaches are more luxurious and comfortable than Astro coaches.
- Unlike Astro, you can easily book Viazul buses online on their website.
- One thing I like about Viazul is that even if you're late to make your reservation they can give you a ride in a shared taxi for the same price as the bus.
- The bus offers no refreshments but it stops along the way at restaurants for passengers to get meals.
- The good thing about Astro is that it has more extensive coverage and goes to areas that are not covered by Viazul.
- Astro buses are regular coaches with little luxury compared to Viazul, their prices are way lower also.
- They are more common among Cubans, for foreign tourists securing a spot on these buses is difficult, it's considered illegal btw unless you are heading to an area not covered by Viazul. Some vendors may be simply willing to sell you a ticket, a good mastery of Spanish can also help in getting the vendor to sell you a ticket.
- Foreign students studying in Cuba can take Astro buses but they must present their student IDs.