- A casa particular is essentially a type of accommodation where Cubans rent out extra rooms in their houses to tourists. It's pretty much the same as Airbnb accommodation.
- Casas are totally safe and recognized by the government. Legal casas usually put a blue sign right outside with the words "arrendador divisa" to help you recognize them.
How to book casa particulares
- You can easily book a casa before your arrival in Cuba.
- Download the Cuba junky app. The app costs $5.
- On the app, you'll find Cuba junky casa particular directory. Phone numbers or emails of casa owners are available and you can contact them to make your booking.
You can book a casa directly using Airbnb though only about 60% of casas are listed on Airbnb.
Casa particulares requirements.
- A copy of your passport- casa owners need to take this to the tourism ministry
Casa particulares price
- Currently, casas cost about $50 per night in Havana and $30 in other Cuban towns.
Advantages of staying at casas
- Personally, I pitch for casa accommodation for the following reasons
- It's cheaper accommodation compared to hotel accommodation
- Your host gives you local insider tips on transport, things to do and helps you plan trips.
- Staying at casas gives you a real sense of Cuban culture.
Cons of casa accommodation
- Your host can give away your room in case you don't confirm your reservation around 48 hours in advance.
- Obviously, there is no much comfort and luxury at casas compared to resorts.