When shopping in Ghana, there are 3 ways to pay for the goods or services purchased:
- Cash payment
- Card payment
- Mobile payment
- The Ghanaian cedi is the only form of currency that is easily acceptable by most traders within the country.
- The cedi comes in various denominations ranging from 1 to 100 cedi
- VISA and American Express are the most commonly accepted credit cards in Ghana.
- Mastercard is not common in Ghana.
- Card usage is quite limited due to fraud hence cards are only used at upscale restaurants and hotels, established supermarkets, and ATMs.
- VISA debit cards can be used to withdraw money in most ATMs across the country.
- This is the best pick among the three, it's safe, convenient, fast and easy to use.
- There's quite a number of mobile and online payment systems at your disposal in Ghana. These include;
Mobile Payment Systems
- MTN mobile money
- Vodafone cash
- Tigo cash
- Airtel money
Online Payment Systems