Cocotaxi is an autorickshaw- type vehicle used commonly in Cuba.
It hails its name, from the word coco which means coconut, for they are coconut-shaped.
- The use of these coco taxis began in Havana, Cuba in the '90s. It was thought of as an ideal way of transporting tourists.
- The coco taxis are used mainly in the cities of Havana, Trinidad, and Varadero.
- The number of passengers varies from two to three depending on the desired comfort. The seats are bucket- styled and are positioned just behind the driver.
- The whole frame of the taxi rests on three wheels, with a body made of fiberglass and a two-stroke type of engine.
- The outward shell is painted yellow and is typical, not exclusively round giving the taxi the shape of a half coconut.
- If you don't wish to spend more on private transportation, then coco taxis are the ideal option. They are affordable compared to other taxis.