In general cities in the North are less “dangerous” in the sense you may get harassed less as a single woman walking around. However I’m more inclined to say anywhere you’d be fine as long as you wear basic traveller instincts.
The more touristic destinations are easier to find travel buddy and are less likely to end up walking in dark alleyways alone.
- Dress a bit more conservatively. It’s after all a quite religious country, also makes your church visits more smooth.
- If you ever run into verbal harassment, just ignore them and walk away, do not engage.
- If you ever run into physical danger, shout: AO-U-TOE (aiuto=help in Italian) as loud as you can.
- Tuck away your belongings, always wear your backpacks in front of you- a lot of pick pockets in Italy. I would even use a lock
- Always try to group up with travellers you meet, it’s just easier and more fun.