Jamaica has only two mobile network operators:
Flow by Cable & wireless. Previously called LIME.
- A third mobile network operator Caricel by Symbiote only operated in Jamaica for 4 years from 2016- 2019 when its license was revoked.
- Digicel is the most popular telco service in Jamaica. It's 4G network is yet to cover the entire island. There's only a stable 4G network in Kingston, Montego Bay, Falmouth, St Andrew, and a few popular touristy places along the North and South Coast. 3G/ 2G coverage is available across the entire island.
- Generally, sim cards are more expensive in Jamaica compared to most countries I've visited. Sim card prices range between JMD 600- 1200 ( USD 5-10). You must produce your passport whenever you're purchasing a sim card in Jamaica.
- There's a phone store right after you exit Norman Manley international airport in Kingston. You can also order your sim card online or get it at Digicel retailers.
Data and International roaming
- Default Digicel data rate is JMD 20 per MB of data.
- Digicel has 2 prepaid plans
- Unlimited social plan
- Nuff plan
- Unlimited social plan package includes unlimited domestic calls and unlimited social media ( Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and Whatsapp). This package does not include VoIP calls and unlimited use of other social media apps. You'll have to purchase a regular data bundle for that. Unlimited social plan package starts at JMD 250 for a 2-day package to JMD 3450 for a month's package.
- Nuff offers regular voice and data packages. This plan also includes unlimited Digicel- Digicel calls.
- Digicel and is widely spread in the Caribbean. Digicel customers traveling to the Caribbean islands with Digicel network, the USA, Canada, and the UK roam at discounted prices. You have to connect to AT&T in the US and Rogers in Canada.
- FLOW has less mobile network coverage in Jamaica compared to Digicel.
- For 4G you must purchase a 4G only sim card. Ask for Prepaid Mobile LTE. Sim cards cost JMD 500.
- 4G is only currently available in major cities and resort towns including Kingston, Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, Portmore, St. Catherine, and Spanish Town.
- However, Flow has more international presence and is the best sim card for anyone who'll be traveling a lot from Jamaica. Flow offers roaming data plans ( travel pass plans) to 47 countries including the Caribbean islands, Oceania, Some European countries, the US, and Canada. Travel pass plans come in three varieties costing JMD 999, 1299, and 1499. All travel pass plans are cross border, they can be used in multiple countries while traveling.