How to take the new train from Nairobi to Mombasa
- The newly constructed standard gauge railway runs between the two principal cities of Nairobi and Mombasa.
- The train has two classes
- First class- costs Ksh 3000
- Business class- costs Ksh 1000
- The train system is fully online, you can book and pay using your phone, you'll get the ticket at the train station on the departure day. ( There are self- service machines as well at the stations for ticket printing)
- One train usually leaves Mombasa for Nairobi at 8.00 a.m and the other leaves Nairobi for Mombasa at the same time.
- They both arrive at 1.42 p.m.
- The morning trains usually stop at several stations along the way.
- There are also afternoon train departures. They leave both towns at 3.00 p.m and arrive at 8.10 p.m
- The afternoon trains are both one-way trains.
- The railway passes through Tsavo national park as well as Nairobi national park and you can view the animals ( best viewed when taking the morning trains)
KEY TIP: Arrive at the station around 40 minutes to departure as you really take time to pass across all checkpoints.