Everything you must know to visit Ouzoud falls
Ouzoud falls is a collection of several high waterfalls that drain into the El-Abid river gorge. It's the second-highest waterfall in Africa after Victoria falls, and one of the most popular attractions in Morocco's Azilal province.
- Unlike Victoria falls which tend to be very crowded and quite costly to visit, Ouzoud is a more budget-friendly destination and has fewer tourist crowds.
How to get to Ouzoud falls.
- Most people usually visit the falls as a day trip from Marrakech. Marrakech (3hour drive) and Beni Mellal (1hour 30 minutes drive) are the closest cities to Ouzoud falls.
- There are several tours from Marrakech to Ouzoud. You don't need to take a tour, the waterfall area is easy to move navigate, there are no queues, and entry to the falls is free. Marrakech to Ouzoud falls tours start at around MAD 300 for basic tours( transport and tour guide only). Tours ain't necessary though they'll save you the public transport hustle. There are local guides outside the fall in case you want one. They charge MAD 30 per person.
Driving to Ouzoud falls
- This is the best transport option.
- If you're driving from Marrakech you don't have to go through Beni Mellal.
- From Marrakech drive northeast on N8 till you get to R208. Then drive on this highway to Tanant village and to Ouzoud falls.
- As you drive towards Ouzoud expect drastic weather and terrain change. Marrakech is hot and located in a relatively flat area. Ouzoud is hilly and is cooler compared to Marrakech.
- There's parking near the cascades. It costs MAD 20. Parking fees are paid directly to the parking attendant.
How to get to Ouzoud falls by public transport.
- There are no shared taxis or buses that can take you directly to the falls from Marrakech. From Marrakech, there are 2 routes you can use to get to Ouzoud.
- Marrakech- Beni Mellal- Ouzoud
- Marrakech- Azilal- Ouzoud
- The route through Azilal village is the quickest to use from Marrakech.
- There are no buses to Azilal but you can catch a shared taxi to Azilal village for MAD 50 from the Bab Doukkala market.
- You have to second taxi from Azilal village to Ouzoud falls for MAD 25 if you share with other passengers or MAD 100 if you take a taxi solo.
- If going through Beni Mellal take a CTM or Supratours bus from Marrakech then a shared taxi to the falls. The Beni Mellal route is longer, most people using this route usually plan a 2 or 3 days trip to tour both Beni Mellal and Ouzoud falls.