- Faux guides are unofficial guides who always try to scam unsuspecting tourists. They'll mostly approach you in the following ways:
- Offer to help you find your hotel or a riad by taking you through a very long way so that they can ask for outrageous amounts of money.
- Someone approaches you and tells you they know a person who can help, unless you know the person giving the suggestions, don't take their advice.
How to keep off faux guides.
- Avoid asking for directions from groups of young men who seem to be idling in market areas and streets, if you have to ask for directions, ask a police officer.
- Study the directions of the place you are headed to using Google maps, that way you won't seem lost and they'll not approach you.
- In case they approach you either way and claim to be official tour guides, ask them to show you their license. Licenses look like this;