How to get to the ancient Roman city of Lixus
- These ancient Roman ruins lie on Morocco's western coast and are a true off the beaten path destination.
- You can either go there by road, train or fly to Larache which is the main entry point to the ruins.
- From Larache the ruins are only five kilometers away and are along the highway on your way to Tangier.
- From Larache to the ruins, you can get a taxi or board the buses heading to Tangier.
- If you're coming to Larache from Tangier you can just alight on the way and don't necessarily have to get to Larache.
Flying to Larache
- There is no airport in Larache and hence no direct flights, the nearest airport is in Tangier. From Tangier, you can connect by bus or taxi to Larache.
- Note: Larache is a one and a half hour drive from Tangier
- Direct buses to Larache can only be boarded at Tangier and Rabat.
- If you're coming from Marrakech there's only one bus to Larache daily, however, it's not a direct route, the bus will connect twice at Casablanca and Rabat.
- When coming from Meknes you have to get to Tangier first then connect to Larache.
- You'll have to go all the way to Tangier then connect back to Larache by road.
- From all major Moroccan cities, Fez, Marrakech, Rabat, Casablanca and Meknes, there are trains that depart to Tangier daily.