How to remain online when in Morocco
- I was surprised to find that internet in Morocco is freer compared to most of her neighbors, however, there is no complete freedom of expression on the net and I had to be careful not to do the following to avoid ending up in jail.
- Defaming the royal family
- Insulting Islam.
- Making controversial political statements.
Any social media restrictions? No, you can access all internet platforms, as long as you don't do any of the formerly mentioned of activities you're safe.
Where to get WiFi
- Most hotels and riads offer WiFi to their guests.
- In some of these hotels, WiFi is password secured and accessing WiFi can make you incur extra costs.
- In major towns such as Tangier, Marrakech, Casablanca, Rabat, and Fez have internet parks where you can access the internet for free.
Best internet option: Get internet from a cyber cafe, they'll charge you a small fee, though most the equipment in cyber cafes is old you can carry your own devices then connect to WiFi.
- Most foreign SIM cards have no network coverage here.
- Get a local SIM card for making calls within Morocco, there are quite a number of service providers, Maroc Telecom has the best coverage though it has the highest rates. For international calls, Skype, Imo and Duo work best.