Erg Chebbi is one of Morocco's largest desert sand dunes. Most tourists come here for desert camel riding, photography and to get a taste of local Berber life. Here is a photo of how the place looks like.
Where I was based
- I was based in a small village called Merzouga. It's just on the edge of Erg Chebbi.
- It's easier to get to Merzouga from Fez, the trip takes about 8 hours if you're traveling by road. You can fly from Fez (the flight takes 1 hour), land at Errachidia, and connect by taxi to Merzouga.
Royal Air Maroc has two flights weekly from Marrakech to Errachidia and 5 weekly flights from Casablanca to Errachidia. From Fez, Air Arabia has one weekly flight to Errachidia.
- Most tourists book private transfers or take taxis to Merzouga from Errachidia airport. Taxis cost about 500 Dirhams.
- From Marrakech it can take up to 12 hours to get to Merzouga by road.
- The only direct buses available from Marrakech and Fez to Merzouga is Supratour buses. There's a daily bus from both cities to Merzouga.
- From Marrakech, the bus departs early morning at 8. 30 am. From Fez, the bus is an overnight bus that departs at 7.00 pm and arrives in Merzouga the next morning.
Bus fare: 160 Dirhams.
Tips to make your trip easier.
- Don't take CTM buses. They do not go up to Merzouga. They go up to Rissani and Erfoud.
- Dress warmly, you have to pass across Atlas mountains to get to Merzouga.
Best stopovers on your way to Merzouga.
- Most people tend to stop over in the Atlas before getting to Merzouga.
- If you ate coming from Fez Ifran and Errachiadia are one of the best stopover towns.
- From Marrakech stopover in Ouarzazate or Dades Gorge.
Accommodation and Best Time to Visit Merzouga.
- Most people stay in camps when visiting Merzouga. There are several camps all over Merzouga, prices start as low as $30 per night
- The best time to visit is from October- February, temperatures, and storms are relatively low during these months. You can also visit from March-May though sandstorms are common in these months.
- Most camps offer camel rides in their accommodation packages.
Other activities to do in Merzouga.
- Sandboarding and sand baths- There's quite a number of shops that rent out sand boards in Merzouga. Cost: about $5 per board.
- Fossil tours.