Below are the quick facts every American should know before making a trip to Morocco.
Passport and visa requirements
- Tourists must have a valid passport with at least one blank page.
- It's not compulsory to get a visa when going for a trip that's less than 90days.
- Travelers who plan to stay in Morocco for more than 3 months must request for an extension.
- Any inquiries about Moroccan entry procedures and requirements can be forwarded to the Morroco consulate in New York.
- Once all documents are in order you can then proceed to book your flight!
Dos and Don'ts
- Get your passport stamped immediately after entry to prevent any difficulties when leaving Morocco.
- Don't carry your U.S passport with you everywhere you go. It's best to leave it in your hotel room.
- Opt for taxis and trains when moving around. They are generally safer compared to public transport buses.
- Travelers especially female travelers should avoid moving around at night. Cases of violence against women are on the rise.
- Ensure your health insurance plan covers you even when overseas just in case you need access to medical services while in Morocco.
- Purchase medication, toiletries, and other necessities while in major cities such as Rabat and Casablanca since it may be difficult to obtain these items in rural areas.
- Convert your dollars to Dirhams upon arrival for ease of trade. Only convert your money at airports, banks and forex bureaus.
- Contact your bank prior to departure to ensure your credit and debit cards work while in Morocco
- Homosexuality and public display of affection are a crime hence shun away from such when in Morocco as they attract a hefty fine or imprisonment.
- Dress conservatively and don't wear expensive jewelry when walking around in around to avoid attracting attention and pickpockets.
- Always negotiate with traders before making a purchase to get a good deal.
Best time to visit
- Best time to visit Morocco is in Spring ( March-May). At that time the heat is bearable and it isn't too cold.
Must visit places
There are many beautiful places and sites to visit while in Morocco. Below are just but a few of the places you should check out when there: