Mpesa is a mobile phone-based money transfer service established by Safaricom in conjunction with Vodafone.
Mpesa allows its users to-
1. Send money to another Mpesa account.
- You only need the recipient's number.
2. Buy airtime for your Safaricom number or another Safaricom number.
3. Access Loans and Savings.
- From KCB Mpesa or Mshwari.
4. Purchase goods and services through Lipa na Mpesa.
- Enter the till number, amount you wish to spend and your pin to pay for any goods and services.
5. Depositing Money Into Your Mpesa Account.
- Visit any Mpesa agent.
- Tell the Mpesa agent you'd like to deposit cash into your account or someone's else account if they are within a 15 km radius.
- Provide your Safaricom number, your national ID number and the amount you wish to deposit.
- Using their phone, the Mpesa agent will deposit the cash directly into your account and record the transaction.
- Retrieve your ID and sign to confirm the transaction.
6. Withdrawing Cash From Your Mpesa Account
- Go to Safaricom menu.
- Click on the Mpesa toolkit display text.
- Click on the Withdraw Cash option.
- Click on agent ( easily available) then fill the agent number in the space provided.
- Enter the amount, and your Mpesa Pin.
- Confirm your transaction and sign.
7. Pay Bills Using Lipa na Mpesa
Use this option to pay the following bills-
1. Lipa Kodi
- The housing agencies, landlords, real estates agencies have their own pay bill and account numbers.
- Duly fill them and pay your rent in the comfort of your home.
2. Lipa Karo
- This service enables you to pay your fees through the School's KCB, PayPal account numbers or their Pay Bill number.
- The account number is usually the child's registration number.
3. Changa na Mpesa
- It's a temporary pay bill number used to raise funds e.g fundraising a medical bill or a wedding.
4. Purchasing airtime for other lines.
5. Government services.
6. Buying tokens from KPLC.