Penang is a pretty affordable place to travel.
- For a budget trip, plan to spend $35-$45 USD per day.
- For a comfortable trip, plan to spend $50-$70 USD per day.
- Obviously if you want luxury you can spend as much as you wish, but I'd say a $100US per day can give you a very lux trip
Prices of common things:
- Food from hawker centers: 6-12RM per dish ($1.5-$3US). A full dinner costs anywhere between 10RM-30RM depending on your appetite ($2.5-$7.5US).
- Nice sit down restaurant: $15-$30 US per meal
- Airbnb: $35-$75US per night
- Hotel: similar prices to Airbnb
- Taxi: $2-4US for most trips within George Town. $7 to get in from the airport to George Town (which are located on the southern side and northern side of the island). $7-$15 to travel across the island.
- Bus: less than 40cents to $1 US per ride even for long distance buses
- SIM card: 35RM ($9US) for 7 days