- Machu Picchu is a Unesco world heritage site and is the most famous symbol of the Incan empire.
- The easiest city from where you can get to Machu Picchu by day trips is Cusco.
- There's a small town within the Machu Picchu site, Machu Picchu Pueblo ( also known as Aguas Calientes) where you can lodge at if you want to spend the night within Machu Picchu. ( The only lodges within the Machu Picchu site are in Machu Picchu Pueblo)
How to get to Machu Picchu from Cusco
- From Cusco, the best way to get to Machu Picchu is by taking the train to the Aguas Calientes station.
- In addition to the main station in Cusco, you can also depart from either of these 3 stations.
- Poroy station is within Cusco, Urubamba and Ollantaytambo are outside Cusco along the way to the Machu Picchu.
- Train tickets and schedule from Cusco station and the 3 other stations to Machu Picchu are available online on Peru rail website. Inca rail also operates some train from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu and you can also purchase tickets on their website.
From Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu
- From Aguas Calientes there are2 ways of getting to Machu Picchu
- Walking- Takes approximately 90 minutes.
- By bus- Buses heading to Machu Picchu can be picked outside the station right after the handicraft stalls. Tickets cost approx $13.