- Lima is one of the off the beaten path surfing destinations, with quite a number of great surfing destinations around the city, I'll give you some tips I learned from my surfing trip and some of the best surfing spots within Lima.
Best time to visit Lima for surfing
- Timing pretty much depends on the experience you want.
- During summer (December-February) the water is warm and the waves are generally ok, ideal timing for beginners and family surfing, from June to August the water is quite cold and waves are bigger. However, Lima is quite warm all throughout the year and people surf all year long.
- Best surfing time: weekday mornings. If you want to avoid crowds avoid surfing on popular beaches on holidays.
Where to surf around Lima
- Takes about one hour to get from Jorge Chavez airport to Miraflores, cheapest way to get there is by taking airport express Lima buses, find more info on how to get to Miraflores here
- Pico Alto is within Punta Hermosa district about 30 kilometers from Lima, Pico Alto surfing tours is not normally included in Lima surfing tours since it has the highest waves, ideal for expert surfers.
- To get to Pico Alto you first have to get to Punta Hermosa.
- There's quite a number of bus routes that can get you to Cerro Azul from Lima about 2 hours South of Lima. Find directions here
Surfing safety tips
- You don't have to restrain yourself to Lima, north Peru also has great surfing spots but when there watch out for stingrays in the sand.
- In Lima beware of rocks and sea urchins.