- Metro Rio is a relatively new subway system and as such, it's relatively smaller compared to other subway systems.
- Metro Rio has 2 lines with a total of 35 stations.
- The following terms are important to avoid confusion:
- Subway line- which is one of the two lines of the substation system.
- Surface Subway Bus-a subway- owned Bus line which complements the subway.
- Express Subway Bus Line- a subway- owned Bus line that requires additional fare.
- Express integrated Bus Line- non-subway owned Bus line that requires special fares.
Two Lines Subway
LINE ONE( with an ORANGE or sometimes RED color code)
- It runs from Ipanema to Tijuca.
LINE TWO ( GREEN color code )
- Runs from Botafogo to Pavuna.
NOTE: the subway system is open from 5 am to midnight from Monday to Saturday, and from 7 am to 11 pm on Sundays.
- The fare is always fixed for each trip. Where you get in or out doesn't matter.
- The fare is approximately R$ 3.20.
- I recommend calculating how much trips you'll take and its cost then buy a prepaid card with the necessary credit.
- You can also use a Unitary Card but this should be used in the day you bought it or in the next 2 days.