How to self-drive around South Africa
- Driving yourself around South Africa is relatively easy even for first-time visitors here; the roads are good, gas stations and other amenities are around everywhere and vehicles for rent are easily available.
- All major car renting companies such as Avis, Hertz, Budget, and others have branches here; they are based at international airports in Capetown, Pretoria, Johannesburg, and Durban.
- There are also local car rental companies in these cities and in other towns as well.
- It's not necessary to get a 4x4 car as roads are good unless you're going on a safari then you'll need such a vehicle.
- Here you have to drive left, this may pose a challenge for most people from Europe and the U.S but you'll get the hang of it after one or two days of driving.
- Distances are calculated in terms of kilometers and not miles here.
- Manual cars are more common than automatic cars, make sure you're ok with driving a manual car.