- There are 26 Free WI-FI Zones in Sri Lanka.
- These Free WI-FI Zones are spread out across the country in major cities and towns such as Colombo, Matara, Kandy, Jaffna, Ratnapura, Hambantota, and Polonnaruwa.
How to Access Free Public WI-FI in Sri Lanka
Each WI-FI hotspot is run by a specific telco service provider. In Colombo for instance, free Wi-Fi is run by Dialog.
How Free WI-FI Zones Work
1. If you're in Colombo, search for ‘Free WI-FI Dialog’ or Mobitel.
2. You’ll need to be around the WI-FI hotspot.
3. Click on the pop-up that says Citizen’s Free WI-FI.
4. Registration is by using your e-mail address and your NIC.
5. For first-timers, you’ll need to check your e-mail for the password.
6. Login is successful.
- Internet is quite slow and capped to stream videos.
- Use it for basic surfing, checking your e-mails, WhatsApp messages, or Facebook notifications.
- Each of the zones has a 512kbps connection.
- Like any other free public WI-FI system, it comes with a lot of technical issues and frequently crushes.
Free WI-FI Zone Map in Sri Lanka includes:
1. Peradeniya Railway Station.
2. Jaffna Public Library.
3. Kandy Railway Station.
4. Matara Bus Stand.
5. Polonnaruwa Railway Station.
6. Matara Railway Station.
7. Mirijjawila Botanical Garden.
8. Fort Railway Station.
9. Polonnaruwa Base Hospital.
10. Ratnapura Museum.
11. Pettah Public and Private Bus Stand.
12. Colombo Museum, Karapitiya Hospital.
13. The Temple of the Tooth Kandy.
14. Floating Market in Pettah.
15. Colombo Law College.
16. Battaramulla Foreign Employment Bureau.
17. Colombo Public Library.
18. Galle Face Colombo and Galle Face Green in Fort Area.
19. Dehiwala Zoo.
20. Colombo Racecourse.
21. Colombo Police Headquarters.