Longquanyu Great Wall is not easy to get to. It doesn't get many tourists and the ones who go there usually drive there. But since foreigners can't really drive in China (you need Chinese license), the only way to get there cheaply is by connecting bus (bus 872 then bus 925). A driving or a paid tour will cost you 450RMB - 1000RMB.
Step by step guide to get to Longquanyu Great Wall by bus from Beijing:
- The entire journey there from Beijing should take about 2 hours. Due to limited number of connecting bus, if you want to do a day trip to Longquanyu then you need to leave your hotel by 7am the latest
- Take subway line 2 to Jishuitan (积水潭) subway station
- Exit from B2 and walk east for about 550 yards to Deshengmen, which is a massive fort that you can't miss
- Go to the north side of the fort, to this spot, and find bus 872. Bus fare is 10RMB and you can pay cash on board or with Beijing's Yikatong transit card. Bus departs between 7am and 8:10pm.
- Take the bus all the way till the final stop at Changling (长陵), located here, which is the entrance to the famous Ming Tombs. Should take about 1-1.5 hours depending on traffic
- At Changling, change to bus 925. This is the starting station for bus 925 so you don't have to worry about getting on the wrong direction. There are only four 925 buses each day departing here, at 9:30am, 12:00pm (noon), 3:00pm and 5:00pm. Fare is 4RMB and you can pay with cash on board or Yikatong. If you want to do only a day trip, you have to catch the 9:30am bus, anything later you won't be able to catch the return bus
- Take bus 925 for 11 stops to Longquanyu (龙泉峪) stop, located here, should take about 45 minutes. However, ideally you should ask the driver to drop you off a little bit earlier, at this spot, because this is the trailhead to the Great Wall.
- If you're dropped off at the proper Longquanyu bus stop, you need to walk back for 15-20 minutes, or 0.6 miles along the main road to the Great Wall trailhead. The trailhead is on the east side of the road, marked by a tiny parking lot (for 2-3 cars) and a plaque
- Follow the trailhead to the Great Wall. Then walk east for a while towards Xishuiyu, where this section of the wall submerges underwater. On the other side of the the water is Huanghuacheng section of the Great Wall
- The return bus 925 should pass by Longquanyu bus stop at around 8:40am, 11:10am, 2:10pm, 4:10pm everyday to Changling bus station. Try to be here 10-20 minutes earlier to avoid missing the bus in case it's early. The last bus 872 back to Beijing leaves Changling at 7pm. Alternatively you can camp on Longquanyu Great Wall overnight. Xishuiyu also as designated camping grounds you can use if you make it there