Here's the brief from Maria's original article:
First and foremost, it's pure luck if you see it or not! But you have the following options:
Option 1: Guided bus chase
- driving around with a guide looking for lights
- normally start when it is getting dark and might take till the early morning hours
- PRO: higher probability, you get professional photos taken by the guides, bus has toilets, hot tea and snacks
Option 2: Guided minivan chase
- Similar to bus chase but in a minivan
- Con: no toilet - gotta pee outside
Option 3: Night camp
- May sound romantic if you want the experience but you have lower chance of seeing the lights as you stay in one place
Option 4: Go on your own!
- Most spots are out in the wild. But there are 2 spots in Tromso which can be reached by public transportation!
1. 69°38’02.8″N 18°54’10.1″E
- take bus 37 from Tromsö city centre to the South. Get off at Tromsø Museum and walk towards the water
2. Storsteinen Mountain Viewpoint
- You can reach the viewpoint of Storsteinen by hiking or a cable car (see schedule) . See info on operating hours and schedule about the cable car:
- There is a little cafe which serves hot meals and opens util 10:30 pm.
- Ps: the night view is stunning here even without the northern light!