- Turkey has different visa requirements for people of different nationalities. These are the countries whose citizens can enter Turkey visa-free.
- For US citizens, both official and ordinary passport holders must have a visa to enter Turkey. If traveling for tourism or business you're eligible for an e-visa. However, people traveling for other reasons such as work or studies have to obtain their visas from Turkish embassies.
- You can apply for e-visas from the Turkish government e -visa website or from airlines with offices at Turkish airports. Using the e-visa website is cheaper and quite effective. This visa takes only about 24-72 hours to be processed. In case of emergencies, the e-visa can be processed within an hour. These are the only requirements for e-visa application
- A passport that's valid for at least 6 months from the day of your planned arrival.
- Filled visa application form. Be sure to put down your active email since they'll send your visa and any notifications via email.
- E-visa payment.
- How much you pay for your visa depends on how many days and entries you're allowed. Most visas are valid for about 30- 90 days.
- Be sure to put in the correct info in your online application since a small error in your e-visa can cause such an inconvenience at the borders in Turkey/ airports.
- There's also an option for family visa application, family visas are also discounted. This allows for the application of up to 10 visas but all of you have to be traveling on the same day and must be of the same nationality.
What you'll need at the airport in Turkey
- A printed copy of your e-visa, it's not necessary but highly recommended.
- A negative Covid 19 PCR test done in less than 72 hours before you arrive in Turkey
- A passport valid for at least 6 months for arrival day.
Visa extension and overseas
- It's not possible to extend a 90-day e-visa. You'll have to leave Turkey, and apply for another e-visa before you re-enter. Alternatively, if you had initially planned to stay in Turkey for more than 90 days apply for a short residency permit.
- Visa overstays in Turkey carry a penalty of a minimum fee of $50 and $1 for every day for overstayed. In case you overstay for more than 15 days, you could be banned from visiting Turkey. This ban lasts between 90 days up to 5 years depending on how long you overstayed.