How to get to the Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe
It’s an world famous and iconic destination. Easy to get to and even if you are visiting Botswana or Namibia before - you might end up at Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe
There are three way to get there
There will be various options depending on where are you coming from -
from Johannesburg to Victoria Falls flies -
British Airways, South Africa Airways, Air Zimbabwe, fastjet (via Harare)
from Cape Town to Victoria Falls flies -
Kenya Airways and South African Airways
from Harare to Victoria Falls flies -
Wilderness Air, Executive Air, Halstead Air and FastJet, Air Zimbabwe
From Namibia to Victoria Falls flies -
As the town of Victoria Falls was built because of developing tourism in region it's only a 2km walk to the park entrance
There are no train services between South Africa and Victoria Falls no matter what you find in any travel book.
- There is a LUXURY train service that travels directly to Victoria Falls from South Africa which is the Luxury Rovos Rail. 6 days on the train of the cost of the heart-attack. I'm not gonna describe it here, as if you are interested search online.
- Optional is Shongololo (managed by Rovos Rail) offers a train ride through Mozambique and Swaziland from Pretoria to Victoria Falls, in 3-star luxury.
Botswana Rail services links Gaborone (Botswana) with Victoria Falls via Bulawayo, there is a regular train service that runs between Francistown and Bulawayo.
The overnight train from Bulawayo to Victoria Falls, is an amazing option. The trains are a bit run down – but it is a unique experience if you are up for it. It is absolutely safe.
You can buy your ticket to Victoria Falls at the station. This ticket to Victoria Falls is fairly cheap with a first class around 10Usd.
The major roads in Zimbabwe are in good condition and are perfectly acceptable to drive. Traffic around the major cities can be challenging.
- Traveling to Victoria Falls by car is also an option. Fuel is usually available, however some gas-tanks tend to run out so always make sure you have enough to get to the next fuel point
- most of the gasoline sellers won't accept credit or debit cards.
- There are regular bust connection between Victoria Falls and Bulawayo. From there you can catch a bus even to Harare or Johannesburg
- From Zambia: You can walk across the Victoria Falls Bridge.
- From Namibia: Intercape Bus Company offers weekly trips from Windhoek to the Victoria Falls on a luxury bus.
If you're in Namibia, or South Africa you can check some packages available by tour operators with flights and accommodations included at Victoria Falls. Combining a safari in Botswana with a visit to the Victoria Falls is also an excellent option.
Don't miss the sunset cruises - there's something extremely charming about enjoying a cold beer while watching hippos under a marvelous sunset.
Cruises can be organized through the various travel agencies around town and hotels.
One of the best is Ilala Lodge's Ra-Ikane, a lovely intimate cruising experience with excellent food